01 Feb How to Create Trust
As a leader, people buy from you, offer help, and grant rewards based on trust. Here are ways to increase your success by creating trust. While we do most of these things, missing even one of them can ruin it all.
(1) Be Dependable
* Deliver what you promise and promise only what you can deliver. Report delays immediately. * Be on time. Leave early for appointments. Set realistic deadlines allowing for the unexpected. * Show courtesy by returning phone calls. * Be predictable. Use self control: anger repels and scares others.
* Show interest and respect by paying attention to what the other person is saying. *†Ask questions. Then make it easy to answer them. * Accept the other person’s ideas as valid, even if you disagree. Avoid listening through filters of what you want to hear. * Be open to new ideas. Realize that you could always know more.
(3) Be Honest
* Tell the truth. Lies demean the teller more than they fool the listener. * Act with integrity. Make decisions as if you had to deal with all of the consequences, treat others with respect, and choose actions that add value for everyone.
(4) Provide Data
* Tell stories that show past achievements. Quote compliments. * Collect data. Keep a victory file of successes, testimonial letters, and other good news. If necessary, ask for testimonials, references, and compliments. * Create data. Plan good deeds that lead to complimentary stories.
(5) Take the High Road
* Help others perform at their best. Give without expecting a return favor. * Do good things because that makes the world a better place. * Show courage during uncertainty. * Seek the good in others. * Trust others, because this shows that you expect to be trusted.